Add a festive touch and stuff the hen with a seasonal dressing.
- 6 Rock Cornish Hens (3/4 – 1 lb each)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup snipped fresh chives
- 2 TBS chopped fresh Rosemary
- 2 TBS chopped fresh Thyme
- 2 TBS chopped fresh Sage
- 3 TBS Olive Oil
- 1 ½ TBS crumbled dried Sage
1. Rinse the birds and pat dry. Sprinkle the cavity of each with salt and pepper.
2. Process to a paste the butter, parsley, chives, rosemary, thyme and fresh sage in a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Carefully separate the skin from the breast of each bird. Spread about 2 TBS of the herb butter between the skin and breast of each bird. Smooth the skin into place and truss.
3. Preheat oven to 450°F.
4. Rub the oil over the birds and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Finally, rub the dried sage evenly over each bird and place in a roasting pan.
5. Roast for 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350°F. Continue roasting until juices run clear when the thickest part of a thigh is pierced, about 40 more minutes. Baste frequently with the pan juices. Serve immediately.